Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ueno Zoo



Tony took Anthon and I too the Ueno Zoo on Saturday.  Ueno is home to Ling Ling-- the famous giant panda; Anthon and I were quite excited to see him.  

I had to warm up to the a Japanese-style zoo.  As is typical in this country, everything was in a small space and very close together.  At first I felt very sorry for all the animals.  Ling-Ling's indoor habitat (where we saw him) was a small room with red tile and a cement log.  That's it.  To be totally fair, I have to say he has an outdoor habitat that is much nicer-- small, but much better than a red tile floor.  Still, it was a little depressing to see that magnificent creature sitting in a bare room.

Within a few stops, I became a convert of the small zoo.  Most of the exhibits were a little more elaborately outfitted than Ling-Ling's (though not much bigger), and they were very close together.  Literally, you would stand looking at the gorillas, turn around and be looking at the tigers, walk around the corner and see the lions.  At most of the exhibits you view the animals through Plexiglas.   (That is more space-efficient than a big moat with water that separates you from the creatures).  You can see Anthon about a foot away from the tiger here.  Tony was only the thickness of that glass away from being kissed by a gorilla.  All the animals were sooo close and of course, Anthon loved that; I did too.
 

So, unlike the LA zoo, you don't go to Ueno to get tons of exercise walking huge distances and lifting your child up to see each exhibit.  But never fear, I still will get plenty of exercise walking to the train and carrying my stroller up and down the stairs to get to the tracks.

2 comments:

dana said...

I LOVE the idea of a small zoo. At LA zoo I feel like you walk and walk and walk, only to find out that the elephant cage is under construction. Your zoo sounds perfect. Don't you love that we can all it "your zoo"?!

gunnfam said...

And you were worried that you'd gain more weight with the second baby. Sounds like to me you better watch yourself from losing weight with all the lifting and walking you're doing! (well, not a the zoo at least. =)