This was my lunch yesterday. For many of you, that would not be too out of the ordinary, but considering the fact that I have basically HATED hamburgers my entire life, it is a little strange that I took a 30 minute train ride into downtown Tokyo so I could meet up with Tony and sink my teeth into this 1/3 pound burger.
My burger-love first manifested itself when I was pregnant with Anthon. Before that, I ordered the grilled cheese sandwich at In-N-Out (I know, it's disgraceful; but hopefully that admission won't cause me to lose your respect). I thought hamburgers were DISGUSTING. But pregnancy makes me weird-- with Anthon I wanted Cheetos, Oriental-flavored Ramen Noodle, and HAMBURGERS-- yummy. I actually craved hamburgers so badly that roughly 10 minutes after Anthon was born, I was eating a double-double.
After my hormones normalized and I became myself again, I once again disliked the burger. There were 2 exceptions to that-- I enjoyed In-N-Out once in a while (but I did eat a protein bar there or just order a milkshake occasionally); and I'm a big fan of Hires Big H in Salt Lake City (but again, I eat there once or twice a year).
Now I'm pregnant again and once again my body is weird. In every other way, this pregnancy has been completely different than Anthon's was. But when it comes to hamburgers, I'm right back to the hamburger-phile I was in '05. Tony and I have found 3 GREAT places for burgers already (we've been here 6 weeks-- and there is plenty of other food to eat). I don't want the other stuff; I want the burger. Even a McDonald's cheeseburger (which "normal Shelley" would gag on just thinking about it) will hit the spot-- and because cheeseburgers are about $1.00 and the restaurant is a 5 minute walk-- I eat quite a few. What's wrong with me?
Luckily time cures most ills and hopefully 10 weeks from now, this too shall pass.
2 comments:
On the way home from my doctor's appt. I was scanning the horizon for a Burger King so I could get a whopper. I had a buy one get one free coupon, and yes I was going to eat two. I don't even really like them. But I guess it is pregnancy. It was funny to come home and read you were craving the same thing.
You know, both my brothers worked at In-N-Out growing up, but until I was pregnant, I had only eaten there about 3 times in my whole life. Weird. But when I was pregnant with Lucy I totally craved it! Unfortunately, that never changed back and we've been going there ever since.
That picture looks good and juicy though!
Post a Comment