The good news about all of this is that I faced my worst fear about living here in Japan-- navigating the city on my own. Tony had gone back to work and I was so desperate for relief that I found a doctor, got on the train, made a transfer, and then used my trustee Tokyo atlas and a few passerby's help and actually made it to the doctor. Navigating in Japan is absolutely a nightmare. There aren't really street signs-- and the numbers aren't really in order. Just as an example, the address for my doctor's office was 4-30. (Area 4, spot 30), but the actual lettering on the building says "Building 32 Shiba Koen" So it's spot 30, but the address is 32??? Luckily the building also stated in bold letters "Tokyo Medical Clinic."
My doctor spoke English, and after a week on the 4 drugs she prescribed me, I think that I'm going to make it.
One other interesting thing about going to the doctor... Because Japan is on a nationalized health care system, foreigners like me have to go to special clinics that are 100% cash based. I had to pay my entire bill including all my prescriptions upon leaving the clinic. I was so nervous that it was going to be hugely expensive. The doctor's visit was roughly $105 and 4 prescription drugs were $97 total. I was so impressed. In the states, if I had gone to the doctor, I would have had basically the same treatment and would have paid all of my co-pays ($30 for a visit and $15 per prescription). Then when my explanation of benefits comes back from the insurance company it would say that the doctors visit was $350 and the insurance company paid like $95 and that the drugs were $500 and the insurance paid $100-- so basically I saved like $400 by having the insurance coverage. I just had to think, why is medical care and prescription medication so much more expensive in the US? Hmmm... things to ponder.
Anyway, don't feel bad for me-- I'm on the mend and our insurance company is going to reimburse us. So all is well.
4 comments:
I am so sorry to hear that you have been sick. I am very impressed that you navigated the streets of Japan so well in such a short time.
Gretta loves having Anthon's car so she can remember him, and I LOVE having more room:)
Ugh. Getting sick your first week there sounds totally torturous. I'm glad you're on the mend! And that you're figuring out the navigation.
ok, you are one brave girl!!! I would have been totally lost!! And yes, health care here is outrageously priced! I can't believe they don't have OTC meds...better stock up when you come back to US :-)
That stinks! Not only being sick, but being sick and pregnant is the worst combo. I'm so very impressed that you made the trip and survived to tell us about it. I think I probably would have ended up wandering and crying a lot looking for some silly "spot"!
Post a Comment