Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The 11 1/2 hour flight.

So to get things started, let me tell you about actually getting to Japan.  Literally.  As all of you with whom I talk to know, I was quite concerned about what to do with a 2-year-old on an 11 1/2 hour flight, especially because we were flying in business class where I think I can correctly assume that everyone wants a quiet, uneventful flight.   My sister provided my son with a great backpack to take on the plane; and I loaded it up with anything that I thought he might be interested in-- crayons, play dough, toys, snacks, treats, and the secret weapon #1-- the iPod loaded with Baby Einstein movies.  I thought for sure I could keep his attention with those for  at least 5-6 hours-- so we'd get about halfway across the Pacific Ocean before we ran into trouble.  Other than that, I could only hope that he would get tired and sleep the rest of the trip.

The first part of the flight was idyllic.  Anthon fell asleep shortly after take off, and slept for just over 3 hours.  He woke just as everyone was finished eating and was beginning to doze off.  Tony and I did our best to keep him happy and quiet in his seat-- and we were successful for over an hour.  Then, just like a normal 2-year-old, he was done with being still.  He wanted to run, throw his football, shout "Touch down".  Normal behavior, but still not appreciated on an airplane.   We were halfway across the Pacific Ocean.

Enter secret weapon #2-- the Benadryl.  

Many, many people praised the "calming" effect Benadryl had on their kids during long flights and drives when I expressed my anxiety about flying with our 2-year-old.  I must say that I'm not one for drugging my kid at my convenience, but in an extreme situation (ie: an 11 1/2 hour flight in business class) I thought that I would bend my stance a little.  I purchased my bottle of dye-free, bubble gum flavored Benadryl, found the correct dosage for a 2-year-old and stuck the bottle in my carry on-- just in case.  

So we are 1/2 way across the Pacific Ocean, our kid is done sitting still, and he's already taken his nap.  I think that this qualifies for "just in case".  Even if secret weapon #2 only calms him enough to be able to sit in his seat and watch a movie, that would be victory; especially if we could buy enough time to get to the point where the rest of our fellow passengers were starting to wake up on their own.  Anthon readily drank his "bubble gum water" and we anticipated the bliss of having a sleepy child sitting between us.  Unfortunately that moment never arrived.

A word to the wise-- when you decide to give your child a new medicine, read ALL of the warnings.  I read the first one, "marked drowsiness may occur".  Too bad I didn't read the second one "excitability may occur, especially in children".   Our child went from being a normal active 2-year-old to being an exceptionally active 2-year-old.   We went up and down the aisles, made friends with the flight attendants, sat on the floor and played cars and trains, and bribed our kid to whisper using marshmallows.  

In the end, it all worked out okay.  Anthon was a good as any 2-year-old boy could be expected to be on such a long flight; especially a 2-year-old who was made hyper by his parents' mistake.  I am glad I don't have to repeat that flight for quite a few months, though.  My advise to anyone who is lulled into believing Benadryl will be the answer to all your travel woes is to try it out before the trip.  (And I have a full bottle minus one dose of the stuff for anyone who might need it!!)  

8 comments:

Pam said...

Sorry about the Benadryl. It helps Lily sleep, but apparently not Anthon. Hopefully you got a lot of rest.

Diana said...

I am so glad you created a blog! I always like reading Pammy's blog. Anyway, Daniel's Skype name is drfindlay06 and mine is dianafindlay. Add us to your account!

Love ya!
Diana

The Hyer Family said...

Love the blog! I miss you girl! Keep the posts coming¡ I'm going to miss seeing Anthon grow up!

dana said...

Wow. That sounds like a tiring plane ride. I'm glad you got there safely. And I'm so glad you're doing a blog! I'll be checking in. Please keep posting!

megan said...

YAYAYAY Shelly!!! I'm so excited you started a blog! looks dang good too! I've never had much luck with plane rides...I can't even imagine a 12 hr flight! So glad you made it safely!! Can't wait to hear about your other adventures!

Eric & Gretchen said...

I am so sorry that the Benadryl didn't work. It sounds like a tough flight. I am glad you made it. We miss you. Gretta asked if we could go see you the other day and I reminded her that you moved to Japan and left us your car so we could remember you.

dietcokegrrl said...

Yikes--sorry the flight was such a nightmare. The longest we have done with a toddler is 3 hours and that was bad enough.

YAY--you started a blog! We miss you!! Can't wait to hear more about Japan.

gunnfam said...

That's no fun! I wish I would have told you, Grace on a 14 hr flight to Italy did the same thing with benadryl. It was a nightmare! I'm glad you arrived safe if not sane! =)