Friday, January 25, 2008

Our almost totally super-modern apartment.

We moved into our permanent home a few days after we arrived in Tokyo.  It is a great place-- about 2000 sq. ft (which is almost double what we had in Pasadena) with granite in the kitchen, wood and tile on the floors and lots and lots of space.  We love our place.  Tony posted some pictures of our place on cannoncenter so check it out if you are so inclined.  

Living in a "modern" Japanese apartment has its perks.  First of all, you never have to touch the toilet when you use it.  You walk into the bathroom, the seat opens, you sit down on the heated seat, you have a variety of toilet functions to choose from-- a bidet, warm air, water temperature... just look at the toilet control panel and you'll know that you  don't need a magazine to use the bathroom in our apartment-- just figuring out the toilet it interesting enough.  Then, when you stand up, the toilet flushes (a small flush for #1, a big flush for #2-- don't ask me how it knows) and the seat closes.  Pretty cool.  Tony has a little video of the toilet posted on cannoncenter too.

But the fun doesn't stop there.  When you open the door to our entryway, the entryway lights automatically turn on-- so no searching for a difficult-to-find light switch.  And in the kitchen,  water turns on and off with the wave of a hand (pretty handy when your hands are dirty and you don't really want to touch the faucet).

Now I'll be the first to admit, it wasn't love at first sight for me.  I kind of got annoyed at the toilet for opening up when I came in to brush my teeth (if this thing can distinguish between #1 and #2, why doesn't it know I'm just brushing my teeth?) or at the water faucet in the kitchen for turning on whenever I pasted my arm by too close.  But after a week, I've decided I'm a big fan.  It's really nice when nature calls at 2 a.m. (which it often does when you're pregnant) to walk into the bathroom and only have to worry about sitting down on that warm seat.  The toilet does the rest.  Yes, I converted really fast.

There is one thing that is an enigma in this "super-modern" apartment.  There is no garbage disposal.  I spent the first couple of days here pushing food from the sink into what I thought was a garbage disposal  then searching for the switch.  Tony and I climbed under the sink, and even did a variety of karate chops above the garbage disposal (you never know, the sink turns on with a wave!!) looking for the switch.  It was never to be found.  After a few days I pulled the rubber stopper out of the sink and found this basket  with every single morsel I had pushed down the sink.  Yuck.  I don't think I have ever lived anywhere without a garbage disposal-- I kind of assumed it was like hot water; ubiquitous in developed nations.  Many apartments in Tokyo do have garbage disposals; our does not.  

Hey, but at least I have a warm toilet seat!!





6 comments:

dana said...

Your apartment is amazing and crazy! It would take me a while to get used to all of that too. Casey has always wanted a bidet (ever since he used them in Argentina). He'll be quite jealous.
And yes, no garbage disposal is a drag. We don't have one in our place. But hey, we don't have a heated toilet seat either. You totally win.

Eric & Gretchen said...

What a cool apartment! We looked at some of the pictures posted on Cannoncenter.com and Gretta really enjoyed the pictures of you and Anthon. She got excited everytime she saw a pictures of Anthon and if you weren't in it she would ask, "Where's Shelley?"

The Hyer Family said...

We've only had a garbage disposal for 1 year of our almost 5 years married...not fun...but you definitely get used to it...invest in a good plunger and you can unclog about anything...the apartment is fabulous...!

megan said...

I'm glad to hear that your boat is finally on its way to you!! I think it would be so hard living w/out my stuff...especially in a new place. I have to say that your apt sounds/looks sweet! The no garbage disposal thing sucks, especially when you are so used to them! But I have to say that the heated toilet seat sounds heavenly...after you come home from the hospital all sore...you'll have to let me know if it helps at all!!

Jodie said...

Such a fun blog! It's great to hear about yours and Tony's experiences! I agree with you- no garbage disposal? Add that and human-velcro-as-entertainment to the inexplicable nuances of Japanese culture...

danyelly said...

Shelley, it is fun to read about your adventures in Tokyo. It reminds me so much of being there and I am totally jealous. I sympathize with you on the "sludge bucket" as we fondly called our food-catching basket. My only advice is to clean it often while wearing thick rubber gloves. It makes me shudder just to think about it.