Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Addendum to Misplaced Chivalry and Other Thoughts on Japanese Men

Thank you for all of your comments.  I had no idea so many people read my blog; I'll have to be more careful about what I write!!  I have to admit:  I've been feeling a little guilty since posting my first piece.  I truly don't want to convey a totally negative picture of  50% of the Japanese population.  And I don't feel sorry for myself; I may complain a little, but I am fully capable of taking care of myself.

I also want to point out something I failed to mention before-- most of my experiences have been on the trains and in train stations.  That's where I come into contact with the most people.  I guess I should compare commuting on the trains here in Tokyo to driving in traffic in LA; I don't think that it brings out the best in people.  So maybe it's not fair to form opinions based on that thin slice of a person's day.  

Also, I had a very positive experience with a very nice Japanese man last Thursday.  After Anthon and I finished rowing along the moat, I was having a hard time getting out of the rowboat.  My big belly and the unstable boat weren't a great combo.  Anyway, this very nice gentleman actually lifted me out of the boat; I was very grateful and felt more than a little guilty that I'd just portrayed his gender in such a negative light 2 days before.

Lastly, Friday night, Tony and I saw this picture in the train station.  So I'm not alone in thinking that such public indiscretion is disgusting.  

So please know that I don't hate all Japanese men, nor am I having a bad experience here because I have to open my own door.  But just so you know, I still plan on opening my mouth if someone opens their girly magazine next to me on the train!


3 comments:

dana said...

don't worry, I didn't think any less of you. And I know the opinion isn't all-inclusive. But thank you for the update!

dietcokegrrl said...

That sign is hilarious!!

Jean said...

I agree with Doris, that sign is great!! (Obviously it's a common problem.) Don't worry about your other post - I totally would've vented on my blog if I had experiences like that! I know you don't think badly of all Japanese men. And I totally get the train thing -- when I lived in DC, I would always meet the weirdest or creepiest people on the metro, or entering the station, or leaving the station. (What is it about trains...??)

By the way, I'm SO excited for you, Shelley! Your little nugget is coming so soon!!