Saturday, March 29, 2008

Sakura Season


The sakura (cherry blossoms) are out-- and they are gorgeous!  Everyone truly seems to go CRAZY for the cherry blossom-- the Japanense even have verb that means "to view the blossoms"-- hanami.  People pack picnics and sit under the blossoming trees, take tons of pictures of the blossoms, and even illuminate the trees at night.  It is pretty incredible-- both the blossoms themselves and effort everyone seems to make to get out there and enjoy the flowers.


On Thursday, my friend Jill took me to the most amazing park.  They had incredible spring flowers and a ton of cherry blossom trees-- which were just starting to bloom.  Tony and I decided to head back up there today and hope that the trees had fully blossomed.  We weren't disappointed.  The weather was perfect; and we had a fantastic day playing in the park, picnicking, enjoying the cherry blossoms and the flowers, and people watching.  I was honestly amazed by how people get into hanami.  Every walk of life, every age-- out at the park enjoying the blossoms.  It was really fun.

Look at all of the people!

I know they're not cherry blossoms, but I thought these flowers were just too beautiful not to show.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

those blossoms ARE beautiful. I'm jealous. It hasn't been nearly warm enough for blossoms or buds of any kind, or for picnics or ANYTHING outside for that matter!!! augh. I'm definitely ready for our turn for Spring.

Catherine said...

ps: I want your low fat carrot cake recipe!! Carrot Cake is my all time favorite . . .

Tisha said...

it looks like you guys are having soooo much fun- thanks for all the posts.. those flowers are seriously beautiful! and so great that people really get out to enjoy them! glad to hear you guys survived while tony was gone- very brave! anthon is looking very grown up and adorable! and you are looking GREAT and very cute pregnant! hang in there! the last month is always the worst I think!

Laura said...

that is so awesome! i was just thinking of the gardens at schwetzingen over the weekend, so i'm glad you posted this!

dana said...

Wow that is beautiful. I'm so glad you posted pictures!