Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm Lovin' It

I have been tagged by my friend Jill to list 7 things that I'm loving this week.  I've actually been really glad to have something to think about other than ways to get the baby out (yes, I'm still pregnant; and I've tried most of your suggestions to no avail)  Anyway, here are Shelley's top 7 for the week:

#1  4-Day Weekends with Tony
This is "Golden Week" in Japan.  There are quite a few national holidays all in a row, and so many people take off the days in between and have a nice vacation.  Tony had a 4-day weekend last weekend and will have another 4-day weekend this weekend.  It is so nice to have him around.  We went to the zoo and the park, went row boating, fed ducks, goats, turtles, and fish, held guinea pigs, and ate Doner Kebabs.  Anthon and I definitely have more fun when Tony is with.  I think Anthon's expression sums up the way we all felt weekend.  (And yes, that is a foot long hot dog on a stick; Anthon ate every bite of it.  He definitely didn't get that from me-- I hate tubular meats.  YUCK!)  Also, here's a link to pictures from this weekend.


#2  Anything Lemon-Flavored

 

I have been having an insane craving for lemon stuff the past couple of weeks.  (This is my first real craving of this pregnancy; better late than never I guess).  Anyway, I made these delicious lemon bars and this scrumptious lemon cake.  And I made enough of both to store some in the freezer as an emergency backup-- just incase I need something lemon-flavored at 5:30AM.  



#3  Foot Rubs


I think that foot massages are about the most wonderful thing in the world.  It's so relaxing-- especially at the end of a day when you've been on your feet a lot.  (Or at the end of the day when you are pregnant-- that extra 25 pounds certainly takes its toll).  My DH has been kind enough to indulge me with a few wonderful foot rubs this week.  Thank you, babe.


#4  Finding butter at Costco

For those of you who are not aware, there is a butter shortage in Japan right now.  The store that I shop at most regularly only gets butter in a couple of times a week, and even then it's gone quickly and there is a 200g per person limit (that's less than 2 sticks worth). Tony brought butter back from Los Angeles for me last week, and my mom is also bringing some from the states when she comes.  (Who would have thought that's what I'd want from America??  It's really too bad that I don't like margarine)  Anyway, today at Costco, I found butter!!  I got to buy a whole 800g worth!!  Talk about hitting the jackpot.


#5  Washi Eggs
My picture here doesn't do these eggs justice; washi eggs are absolutely gorgeous.  They are blown-out eggs, covered in beautiful origami paper and then coated with 10 coats of lacquer.  We had a Relief Society Enrichment on making washi eggs just after I arrived in Tokyo, and I've got the beginnings of a nice collection.  I don't really like making the eggs-- the process is too long and tedious for me.  But the end product is so gorgeous, that I'm determined to keep going until the jar and the basket I want to fill are full.  


#6  My Mom is Coming Tomorrow
I can hardly wait for my mom to be here.  She is so fun and easy to be around.  Plus, I won't have to cook or clean, Anthon will be totally happy, and she'll take care of Ella so that I can sleep.  My mom has more energy than anyone I've ever met; and she's the most positive person that I know.  Last time she came to visit us, Anthon kept telling me to go away because he wanted to be only with Grammy; he wanted her all to himself.  Too bad son, she may be your grammy, but she's still my mom!


#7 The End is Truly in Sight


For a variety of reasons that I won't get into, my doctor has decided that I should be induced on Saturday.  Yeah!  As long as the hospital has an opening for me (apparently inductions are considered low priority), I'm going to be prego for only 2 more days.  Wahoo!!  So look for pictures of our newest bundle of joy very soon!  

There you have it-- my top 7 for May 1, 2008.



7 comments:

The Hyer Family said...

Cute post...my big thing right now is cheese...I'm sure I ate 1000 calories in cheese the other night, and yesterday, and almost everyday...it settles my stomach...couldn't I pick something like lemon? Good luck on Sat!

dietcokegrrl said...

YAY for Saturday and your mom coming for a visit! And I'm glad that Ella will be here soon. Good luck with everything!

I can't wait to see pictures!

Catherine said...

Yeeeaaaa! So excited for you to have your baby and have your mom there too! GOOOOD LUCK!!! I'll be thinking of you.

Please post pics soon of the baby!!! (and you, of course)

Mike and Heidi said...

Best of luck with your delivery and a speedy recovery! Have a wonderful time with your mom. I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

Jill said...

I loved this post! and your washi eggs are georgeous. a few of your prints I've never seen before. maybe I'll start a blue and white set now...

megan said...

Oh shelley what a fun post!! I hope the induction goes well!!! My doctor said he'd induce me end of next week if nothing is happening, but I don't think I'm ready yet...I still have a couple weeks till my due date. I just know this baby is going to be harder once it is out of me :-) I'm so happy for you though and all of the fun things you are doing in japan!! How long is your mom staying? And as for that belt...I knowwwwwwwww I've heard about it from someone since living here...I just can't remember who. let me know if it works!

Jean said...

Oooooh, hooray for Saturday!!! YAY!!! I'm so excited for you!