Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Drug-free Delivery; Definitely not for the Faint-Hearted

For anyone who has ever talked to me about having a baby, you know that I LOVE the epidural.  I have often said that I want to go into the hospital to deliver a baby backwards; so they can put in the epidural before I even get into the bed.  I'm serious about that.  I feel no shame in saying that I want a pain-free delivery.  I have experienced plenty of pain in my life; I know what it feels like; I don't like it.  My idea of a perfect delivery is laying in bed, pain-free (of course), laughing with my husband, listening to Stan Getz and watching Oprah.  (Oh yeah-- that was Anthon's birth!!)   I had only two requirements for finding a doctor here in Japan:  #1  He gives epidurals; #2 He speaks English.   I found a doctor (one of the very few here in Tokyo) who fulfilled both.

As you can probably discern from the title of this post, Ella was born sans epidural.  All I can say is that I should have known.  Everything about this pregnancy has been much more difficult-- I should have anticipated a dramatic finale.  

Here's the story:  Saturday morning Tony and I headed to my doctor's office.  The doctor wanted to do one final check before we went into the hospital.  After the all clear, we headed home to pick up our bags and then took a cab to the hospital.  The plan was to check in and start an IV with a very low dose of pitocin.  My OB was to come in about 3 pm to administer the epidural and rupture my membranes, and we'd anticipate an early evening delivery.  Ahhh, the best laid plans!  Everything was right on schedule until just before 3pm, when the nurse informed us that the doctor was running behind and wouldn't be there until 4pm.  No biggie; I still wasn't even uncomfortable.  In fact, I was so comfortable that I decided to take a nap.  

At 3:30pm I was asleep; at 4:45 pm Ella was born.  The 75 minutes in between were pure hell.   Just after I woke up I began having VERY painful contractions, and by 4pm I was ready to push this baby out.  Unfortunately my doctor was caught in traffic-- and the midwives wouldn't deliver my baby for me.  Instead, they put my legs above my head so I had to work against gravity, and they told me to breathe.  I had taken lamaze classes in Pasadena-- but I'll tell you what, visualizing "the wave" and hee hee hee breathing did absolutely nothing for me; I needed to push that baby out.  The next thing that I know, the midwives are pushing the baby back into me.  They are giving me instructions in Japanese-- which I don't understand; I'm trying to "breathe" and shouting at them in English to get their hands off of me and just let the baby come out.  Tony tells me that the hospital doctor is coming-- just to hang in there.  The hospital doctor arrived, stood there, and watched me.  I distinctly remember looking up at him in my pain-induced delirium and shouting for him to deliver my baby; get her out of me.  Nope.  I just had to keep waiting (and screaming) while the midwives held my legs up and push my baby back inside of me.  Finally, my OB showed up and Ella was born about 60 seconds later.   Literally.  Everyone was just waiting for him to get there.   What was the point of having midwives and a hospital doctor?  I don't know, but it was an absolute nightmare. 

We checked out of the hospital Monday morning, not even 48 hours after Ella was born. This was quite unusual, as the typical stay in a Japanese hospital is minimum 5 days.  The staff kept asking us if we were sure we wanted to leave.  Are you kidding me?  This is the place where they push your baby back inside of you and other strange things that I won't relate over the world-wide-web.  We will do fine at home, thank you very much. 

I asked my doctor what had happened and how that situation could be avoided in the future.  Obviously, if he had been there at 3pm, I would have had my epidural.  If he'd been there at 4pm, I could have simply pushed my baby out.  But honestly, who would have thought that I'd go from asleep to delivered in less than 90 minutes?  His guess is that I just deliver babies really quickly  (a pretty good guess considering my sister and my aunt both have about a dozen contractions and then deliver).  I was only on a 1/2 strength pitocin drip-- so it wasn't that I'd been given too much hormone.  And my water didn't break until I was at a 10 and pushing.  He said in the future he would always suggest a scheduled delivery-- with pitocin and an epidural administered at the same time, otherwise I might not realize I'm in labor until it's too late to get to a hospital.  

But, as horrible as the whole ordeal was, I still have more to be grateful for than I have to complain about.  First and foremost is my beautiful little Ella Nadine who was worth every ounce of that pain.  I honestly adore her.  I could spend the whole day snuggling her and it would be a good, productive day.  Second is that Ella and I are doing great.  She doesn't seem to have any ill effects from being held in the birth canal, and I am feeling fine and recovering well.  Third, that I didn't go into labor spontaneously.  I only had 30 minutes between really feeling like I was having meaningful contractions and feeling that I wanted to push.  I would have had our daughter in the back seat of a cab if I'd waited until I thought I was in labor to go to the hospital.

After this experience, I am even more firmly rooted in the "give-me-the-drugs" camp.   I know quite a few of you endorse natural birth-- more power to you my friends.  I'll take the stick in the back and listen to my jazz!

Ella Nadine Cannon

The baby kimono from the hospital (it is Japan after all).

The family of 4 (don't you love Anthon's expression?)

My little girl and me.

For more pictures, check out Tony's website.



14 comments:

Cameron and Cindy said...

Shelley! You are amazing! I can't wait to meet baby Ella! I am glad that you are feeling better, and home with your family, and your mom, too, right? Ella is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations to the whole family! Love and miss you!

Laura said...

Oh, girl! I was thinking of you Saturday and wondering to myself "what's it like to deliver a baby in Japan?" I had to visit the hospital in Germany (thought I had an appendicitis) and I ended up calling my comp in the middle of the night and SNEAKING out!!! terrible. I'm so glad you got a GORGEOUS angel out of it!! did they take your temperature? not fun...

dana said...

Wow is all I can say to that. Wow. I'm so sorry you had to feel it all! My epidural wore off when I finally delivered and yes, I feel your pain. I understood at that point why women always screamed during delivery in the movies. The pain is REAL!
I'm glad your little Ella is here though. Absolutely adorable and so much hair! I love it.
You look great! And your gown is actually cute. Good luck in the months to come!

Catherine said...

Oh my gosh, Shelley!!! I cannot BELIEVE that the midwives and hospital Dr just STOOD there, held your legs up in the air and then even tried pushing the baby back IN??!! Was your baby in distress at all?? That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard.

I assume that your mom was at home with Anthon. Man, I can only imagine what she would have done had she been there. Probably delivered the baby herself!!! I mean, come one . . . what did your OB actually have to do besides catch Ella and cut the cord? That is crazy.

Glad it's all over, and yes, Ella is BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT. Cute, cute, cute. Congratulations to you all.

dietcokegrrl said...

Shelley,
That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard! What exactly are the midwives there for if not to deliver the baby (esp. in an emergency)?? And to push it back inside you? And to make you wait that long?? TOTALLY CRAZY!!

I promise natural birth isn't that bad--it would have been so much better if they had just let you push her out when you were ready. It is near impossible (speaking from experience) to NOT push when its time. I was told NOT to push with Sammy until the doctor arrived as well and it was unbearable.

You progressed so quickly because of the nap. All it takes for you to get to a 10 is pure relaxation (like a nap) and you can progress VERY rapidly--that's why a lot of moms try hypno-birthing.

So sorry it was so traumatic.

Anyway, it's all over (YAY!) and she is BEAUTIFUL--I'm so glad she like to snuggle.

Can't wait to meet her!

Mike and Heidi said...

Wow, Shelley! That is a crazy story that you and Ella can look back at in future years. I am so glad that you and Ella are doing well. She is so beautiful...just like her mom.

andrea said...

Shelley
She is a beautiful little girl. Congratulations.

megan said...

Shelley,...so glad you survived!! I'm soooo jealous that you are done with delivery and mine looms in the near future. I don't know if you remember or not, but the nurses pushed caden inside of me, tipped me upside down and gave me a shot to stop my contractions here at huntington hospital. That created a bunchhhhh of problems to the point of cutting me hole to hole and using the vacuum trying to get him out b/c he was stuck in my birth canal. And other things as well :-) Just wanted to say that it must not just be a japan thing b/c it happened here in socal as well. Your ella is beautiful!! So so happy for you!

gunnfam said...

I'm so glad little Ella is here. I must say that girls do like drama! =) I'm just happy that you both survived the ordeal and now get to relax and try to recover! Good luck with everything. Too bad I can't mail a meal. =)

Rachel said...

Hi Shelly, I grew up with Tony in LC and my hubby Gordon knows him from the mission in Japan. Anyway, we've been enjoying your adventures in Tokyo and my husband has been trying to convince me that we need to move to Japan as well. I can safely say now that that would NEVER happen until after the child-bearing years. I feel for you. I had a very similar experience in a little town (Ithaca) in upstate NY and did the whole drug free but I didn't want it drug free, screaming at the doctors and nurses, super fast delivery. Luckily, they didn't push the baby back in! I can only imagine. Hopefully you will look back and laugh! Thanks for sharing all your adventures!

Kaedi said...

Shelley, I'm not sure that we've ever met. I knew Tony from his days in San Francisco. He sent along the link to your blog in the baby announcement email, and I hope you don't mind that I took a peek. I just have to tell you how incredibly impressed I am with you. I had a baby not too long ago, and think I might have died without the epidural. Your story is incredible!! You look absolutely stunning in the pictures, and if I didn't know any better, I'd think you'd just watched Oprah during a pain-free delivery.

Tisha said...

wow! way to go! it sounds a little like my story with adley only I got the epidural at 9 cms, so just in time to push. You look gorgeous as does Ella! So glad she is here and you are NOT prego anymore- what a great feeling! love to your family!

Jean said...

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! A great big welcome to little Ella!! She's absolutely gorgeous!! You look amazing in the pics. YAAAAAY!!

Secondly, oooooooooowie owie ow. Way to go, girl - you are my hero. What is wrong with that hospital??!! That totally freaks me out that they wouldn't let you deliver. Ahh!!

Anyway, at least it's over now and the grand prize is yours. We are so happy for you guys!!!

Leslie said...

i'm pam's friend and she told me about this, i had to read it to believe it. what a trooper you are, mom of the year! :)