Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Gettin' Biggah



Anthon loves to say about Ella, "Baby sistah.  Gettin' biggah."  I have to admit, I think it's adorable, and I've started saying it myself.  


It's true.  Ella is definitely getting bigger.  She is 8 months old now, has 2 teeth, and is crawling with amazing speed, especially considering that she just learned to crawl a week ago.  She loves to eat-- tonight she ate a piece of salmon, broccoli, and rice; the same quantity as her brother, but with much more gusto.  As much as she loves to eat, she still doesn't gain weight.  According to my very precise technique of weighing myself and then picking up Ella and weighing myself again she is now up to 14 pounds.  This means she has officially fallen off of the growth chart.  However, she definitely appears to be thriving.  She is energetic, so happy, and easy to make smile and laugh.  She's my little Belle.
  

Anthon is also gettin' biggah.  He went to primary on Sunday and was the cutest little Sunbeam I've ever seen.  He came home with a little cut-out of himself (respresenting his physical body), and an identical cutout of clear contact paper (representing his spirit).  He explained to me that right now he has a body and a "spear" (spirit), but when he dies his body will stay here and his "spear" will keep living.  I basically think he is a genius for understanding such an abstract concept--  and that he has an incredible Sunbeam teacher.  He has become quite independent, he's potty trained, he can get his own drink from the water dispenser on the refrigerator door, he loves to dress himself as long as it's shorts and a T-shirt (that's interesting because it's winter here--ie: cold), and he can totally operate the TV and DVD player on his own (much to my chagrin).  He definitely has his own ideas and is quite stubborn-- which is both endearing and exasperating.  It's amazing to me what a little person he has become.


Anthon and Ella love each other.  I guess it would be more accurate to say that Ella ADORES Anthon, and Anthon really likes Ella and is really sweet to her almost all of the time.  Now that she crawls, Anthon is starting to get frustrated that she gets into his things more often.  I left them playing in Ella's room for a few minutes tonight, and when I returned Ella was screaming and she had the toy basket on top of her.  Anthon said he had "put her in the basket" so she couldn't knock down the birdie house he had built. (He had put the basket over her so she couldn't crawl anywhere--everything was under the basket but her 2 little feet.)  I wish I had a picture.  It was hilarious.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Finally....I wish you lived closer. We would have so much fun. Everything you said I can diddo. Lily is fighting right now with her daddy because she wants him to be Snow White and her to be Sleeping beauty.

Brittany said...

Hi, Shelley. It's fun to read about your kids and all your Japanese adventures. I loved the story about the basket. Too bad you didn't get a picture, but you were probably anxious to get that basket off of her. It's okay to sacrifice your child's comfort for a good picture, you know.

Alexander has been surprisingly patient with Lincoln. But he seems to be more interested in Lincoln's toys than Lincoln is in Alexander's. I have to make Alexander give Lincoln back his toys all the time.